The Parable of The Lost Coin
- Read the scripture text of the parable.
- Remember that a coin in Bible times was much more valuable than ours are today.
This lost coin was probably worth at least an entire day’s wages, maybe more.
- Consider the circumstances.
- The Parable of the Lost Coin immediately follows the Parable of the Lost Sheep, which we looked at last week.
- Re-read Luke 15:1-7 and consider the situation that prompted these parables.
- Consider these questions about the parable.
- What 3 steps did the woman take to find the coin? What does that say about her desire to find it?
- How long did the woman search for the coin?
- What do you think might be represented by the lamp that the woman lit? (Psalm 119:105, Matthew 5:14-16)
- Why was a celebration appropriate when the 1 coin was found but not for the 9 that were not lost?
- What are differences between a lost sheep and a lost coin?
- What are differences in how they may have gotten lost?
- What are differences in respect to them knowing that they were lost?
- Other Questions
- Have you ever torn up your whole house to find something important that you had lost?
- Is each and every person important to God? (2 Peter 3:9)
- How valuable is someone’s soul? (Luke 15:10)
- Is your manner and attitude important while seeking the lost? (2 Timothy 2:23-26)
- How much effort are we willing to go to in order to find the lost?
- Consider these questions after reading the parable.
- Why do you think 1 coin was so important to this woman?
- How much money would you have to lose for you to search your entire house in order to find it?
- How diligently would you search if you lost your mobile phone? What about your car keys?
- What would you hate to lose worse than anything? How does this compare to a person’s soul lost forever?
- Activities for Youth Group Members
- Look for a special Youth challenge from Kory involving coins. How many coins can you catch without losing any?
- See how many coins you can stand on their sides. Post it on Instagram using #HeightsChallenge.
- Call a friend who might be in need and tell them that you are praying for them.
- Activities for Kids and Parents
- Read the Parable with your family.
- Work the 2 Kid’s Puzzles included with the bulletin. (Do you know who our Elders and Deacons are?)
- Search your house for coins. See how many of them you can stack before they fall. Try not to lose any.
- Get someone in your family to hide 10 coins in the house and see if you can find them.
Watch this YouTube video about The Lost Coin. www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvHxUxjaboE