Sunday School Substitute
The Parable of The Lost Sheep
- Read the scripture text of the parable.
- Consider the situation that prompted the parable.
- What was the reason that the Pharisees and scribes complained about Jesus?
- Do you think this was the real reason, or were there other underlying issues?
- Did they complain to Him or to others?
- Do we ever make judgements about others or look down on them?
- Consider these questions about the parable and read the corresponding passages.
- Did the shepherd leave the safety of the
fold or stay where he was comfortable?
(Matthew 28:19-20, Mark 16:15-16, Colossians 1:23, Romans 10:18)
- How did the lost sheep get back home? (Romans 15:1-3, 1 Thessalonians 5:14)
- Do you think the lost sheep was in the
same condition as the other sheep when he came back
(appearance, smell, cleanliness, etc.)? (Matthew 7:1-5)
- Other Questions
- Have you known any lost sheep that have returned to the fold? (1 Peter 2:25)
- Are we willing to let a lost sheep ride on our shoulders?
- Are weak members important to God? (1 Corinthians 12:18-26)
- Why is it important for the shepherd to be sure that he is leading the sheep in the right direction? (Jeremiah 50:6)
- Consider these questions after reading the parable.
- Why do you think Jesus used sheep to teach this parable?
- Who do you think the lost sheep represents?
- Do you remember a time when you were lost? How did you feel? Did anyone come looking for you?
- Have you ever lost something that was important to you? How did you feel? Did you find it?
- We all use GPS to keep from getting
lost. We even have a Find-My-Phone app
in case our phones get lost.
What can we use to make sure that we don’t get lost spiritually?
- Activities for Youth Group Members
- Memorize Psalm 23.
- Find, take, or make a creative or funny
picture of a sheep (or find a meme of a sheep).
Post it on Instagram using #HeightsChallenge.
- Work the Word Search included with the bulletin.
- Work the Kid’s Puzzle included with the bulletin. You know you want to!
- Activities for Kids and Parents
- Read the Parable together.
- Work the Kid’s Puzzle included with the bulletin.
- Make a sheep out of cotton balls.
- Watch these YouTube videos about The Lost Sheep.